Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tour With a Band: 10 before 30


I think if you would have asked me at 15 if touring with a rock band is something I would be interested in, you would have received a hesitant 'yes' from me. Sure that sounds like the coolest thing ever but I could never be in that type of band and I'm too nervous about my singing voice anyway.


Since meeting my husband six years ago (plus a month! woo-hoo!) he's shown me what it means to be a musician playing music just because you love it. And although I know he cares, in a way, if people enjoy it or not, he seems to play mainly for himself. It's been inspiring to see music approached this way and it's encouraged me to want to sing with him, which has turned out to be one of our favorite things to do together.


All of this has made me quite a cheerleader for his music and in various incarnations of his live band, I've always told him he should tour. For one reason or another that's never happened but when he released his solo album last Spring, which is about his time at college in Athens Ohio, he couldn't stop imagining that he'd go there and play these songs live.

I really just forced myself into the live lineup. Dan had written a lot of these songs slightly out of his vocal range and having another person back him up was insurance. Once he'd heard word from his favorite musical companion, also named Daniel, that he'd come out to Ohio and play these songs with him, I got sort of 'thrown in' to complete our line up. I couldn't be happier about that.


All the coffee shop shows Dan and I had done together over the years sort of came together. We worked out vocal arrangements for each song over a couple months this Summer as the tour fast approached.

Dan worked really hard to book all our shows (with the help of some buddies in Ohio and Tennessee) and it was shocking to see how quickly things could come together and also how fast things could get cancelled or moved around. In the end, we played four shows, plus a bonus show for the college paper in Athens (video here!) which ended up being the perfect amount.

I'm pretty pumped to do another tour. Maybe next year? A lot of my anxious-ness about my voice has gone away as I've grown up and when you're enjoying yourself, playing music you really enjoy, it's easy to get caught up in that and forget that you have a bit of stage fright.

I'm really glad that I did this in my 29th year. It's not something I could have done at 15 and thinking about that makes turning 30 seem more like an accomplishment than a death sentence.

No comments: