Wednesday, August 24, 2011

28th Year: Friends

This year I really came to value my friendships. I've had several really good friends move across the country in the past 14 months and it's been really difficult, maybe more than I can put into words, to put time into a friendship only to see it sort of disappear as distance creates so much difficulty. Each friend has had to move away for good reasons but it's still so hard to see a friend leave. The friendships I have been able to keep and cultivate this year have been invaluable.

IMG_7236

I haven't always known how to be a friend. In all honestly, while I was a teenager, I was probably a rather crappy friend to a lot of people. I didn't understand how important it is to listen to your friends, and be there for your friends. And understand that everyone screws up or doesn't have time that week for you but in the end a friendship is just like a romantic relationship in a lot of ways. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Forgive your friends the small things and they'll forgive you the inevitable annoyances you cause them. I like to think that many of the friendships I've developed this year will be life long.

As we get older I realize that successful friendships give my life so much fulfillment. When something exciting happens, I can't wait to share it with them and when they've had a bad day and need someone to drink a bottle of wine with, I'm happy to be there.

IMG_4407

IMG_4290

Today I read this lovely piece on Hello Giggles by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Karen Elson. They really hit the nail on the head. My friendships make me a better partner to my husband and I long to have the sort of solid and forever friendship these two have.

No comments: