Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sewing Project: Vintage Dress

I've been working on some dresses for the shop that need some slight alterations. I'm a moderately good seamstress when it comes to garmets (I'm much more adapt at accessories and such) but hemming is fairly easy.

IMG_4313

This was a floor length 1960's dress. The fabric is so adorable and the cut on the top is perfect, it was just the length that was a little off. I thought a just-above-the-knee length would be perfect for this.

IMG_4316

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I cut some length off, double folded it and pressed the seam just a bit. I found some coordinating thread and did a blind hem stitch by hand.

IMG_4315

Now it's ready to hang in the shop. I've got another dress I need to do this same thing to and yet another that I'm shortening the sleeves on. I try to make sure I haven't spent a ton on the dress before I cut into it just in case I completely screw it up. A pretty good rule when you're trying to expand your sewing prowess.

No comments: