Monday, June 13, 2011

Estate Sale Finds

I've shared the good word about estate sales before on this blog but this past weekend I had such amazing luck, that I wanted to share again! I went to two, one first thing Friday and another first thing Saturday and was reminded that going early on the first day of a sale, is best way to get the most amazing things. However, if you're just looking for the best deals, Sundays later in the day are the best time to go. Since I'm usually willing to pay if the selection is out of this world, waiting in line for 15 minutes until the door to opens, seems like an ok deal to me.


This weekend I found some wonderful things for my personal collection, including Tammis Keefe and Peg Thomas hankies for a quarter a piece (they go for $15 and up on etsy/ebay).



And of course I found some stuff for Wanderlust, which is the reason I'm usually at estate sales these days. At the Saturday sale I walked away with 15 dresses, each more beautiful than the next, including this one which was a STEAL at $5.


I put it on a hanger when I went to open the shop after the estate sale, and it was sold by the end of the day.

I love shopping estate sales so much more than thrift stores, especially in Portland. There are so many re-sellers here that the thrift stores tend to be pretty picked over and estate sales still give me a thrill. You never know what's lurking in that closet or down in that moldy basement. I also still find things for a quarter, something thrift stores apparently don't do anymore. I usually find estate sales on craigslist but some of the best ones I've been to, I just drove by and decided to stop. What's your favorite way to find vintage items?

No comments: