Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Crazy Farmer

My dad has been growing tomatoes for the past couple years in his small side yard but this year he really took it up a notch or two. He's growing several different types of tomatoes, peppers and basil! I keep bugging him to give me something that he's grown to try. I grew up in the suburbs and people don't usually grow things there. My mom keeps house plants alive but that's about as much growing as my family did when I was a kid.



So my sister, niece, nephew and mom came to visit this weekend and my sister brought me an awesome gift from my dad! Not only did he send her some of his basil, but he packaged it up in the cutest glass jar AND made a label for it. He calls himself the Crazy Farmer and he lives on Market Street, so it's perfect. I think he could sell these at a farmer's market!



Yesterday the boy and I took the basil and layered it with heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the most delicious caprese salad. I think I'm going to make pesto with the rest or use it on a pizza later this week. Thanks Crazy Farmer!

No comments: