Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wanderlust!

Alright, alright enough hints and bad cell phone photos, I'm ready to spill! Dan and I are opening a new type of retail shop. As you probably know (since even the New York Times seems to recycle the story once a year or so) Portland is exploding with food carts! The 'food cart culture' here is huge because the type of food being served in them goes above and beyond just hot dogs and pretzels. Fine cuisine is actually being made and served in carts. More recently 'cart pods' have appeared, where a group of food carts gather in one space, which is great because the customer can go and pick what they wan to eat.

ANYway, I kept thinking with such a affluent 'cart culture' in Portland, why aren't people selling more things out of carts? Why isn't there a cart where you can buy clothes or handmade goods? I would shop there! In my googling, the only place I could come up with like this was in Boston, Haberdash Vintage. The boy and I talked about it and we decided that Portland is in desperate need of something like this and so Wanderlust was born!

Wanderlust is a shop on wheels. We specialize in finely curated vintage clothes for men and woman, as well as handmade goods from all over the place (I just placed an order for the most awesome bags from a woman in the UK!).
I'm so excited for this new endeavour! No one's quitting their day job, for now we'll be a weekend and evening sort of business that goes around to street fairs, music festivals, food cart pods (if they'll have us!) and other places, open our doors and sell our wares. Go to our website to find out all the ways to know where we'll be next, we've got twitter, facebook and an 'events' section on our website so you'll always be in the know.


So we've got a lot of work ahead of us. Our trailer is in less than pristine condition but this week we've made some progress and we're on our way to open our doors by the end of July. We've nicknamed this 1974 trailer Lil' Jerry and even though he's got some major issues, we think he's going to be the best trailer for the job.
I'm so excited! I can't wait for Wanderlust to open it's doors.

4 comments:

Designateddryden said...

How exciting! I can't wait to check it out. What a cool idea.

Antelope Baby Industries said...

Thanks Dryden, we're so excited!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

What an awesome idea, Vanessa!! Yay!

Jessica said...

Very cool! I can't wait to hit up some vintage goodies at Wanderlust!