Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How To Make Your Own Knit Chain Necklace


I saw this photo the other day and knew immediately that I had to make one of these. It's a fairly simple project for even the most basic knitter so I thought I'd share how I made this lovely necklace for myself. Of course, this pattern could easily be extended to make a scarf or even modified to make a bracelet.

I started with some brightly colored ends of yarn skeins I had in a box. I loved how the pinks and oranges looked with the grey and blue. If you don't have left over yarn, you could make this entire necklace with less than one full skein, your necklace will just be one color. Any worsted weight yarn will work for this.

Supplies needed:
Size 5 or 6 needles
Worsted weight yarn (about a skein worth)
Darning Needle

Start by Casting On 6 stitches with size 5 or 6 needles. *(Knit row 1. Purl row 2.) Repeat from * until your piece measures 7.5 inches. It will start curling in on itself and you can help it along with your fingers. Cast off. Stitch the short ends of your piece together using the darning needle. You should have a chain piece that looks likes an oval.

Stitch your second piece the same as the first only once you cast off, wrap the piece around your first chain oval and then stitch the short ends together. For the length shown make eight chain ovals, stitching them together as you go. On the eighth piece, make sure to wrap the piece around both end chain ovals and then stitch the short ends together.

The chain necklace should easily fit over your head. I think it looks best paired with a plain top since it's so bright and cheerful.

1 comment:

VanHelzing said...

hey thanks! I'm going to try this!!

-tóta