Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

Just a quick post with a few cool links I found today in honor of the earth! If I compare my earth-saving techniques from last Earth Day to this one, I think I've made a lot of improvements although I still have a long way to go. I bought a reusable coffee tumbler a few months ago which is significantly reducing my waste output. I'm a two-cups-a-day drinker, so imagine in just one month, how many of those paper coffee cups with plastic lids are being saved! I also am really focusing on reusing glass jars and plastic containers that our food comes in for storage. The main thing that I am really proud of, is my resistance to plastic bags. I always request paper at the checkout or bring my own bag, and I also carry a large bag as my purse which means when those impulse purchases on my lunch or on the way home from work happen and I don't have my own shopping bag, I can just throw the item in my purse.


Here is some more awesome information:
This site has great info on plastic bags. Do you know that Americans use something like 30 billion plastic bags a year? FOR REAL!
And Martha Stewart has a interesting picture galley and information on eco-traveling. I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm all for trends that are good for the earth and if I was rich, I would want to spend my vacation money on this sort of thing. Check it out!

No comments: