Saturday, January 26, 2008

Recovered Magazine Holder



I picked up some of these white carboard magazine holders at Ikea yesterday. They are called FLYT and they are 5 for $2.99. Cheap! Lately our bookshelves and CD racks have looked a mess, yet I've continued to throw magazines I wanted to keep on top of the ever growing pile. Finally, I decided to take action and get some holders but our place isn't really the clean lines, solid colors type of place. Lucky for me, I picked up this roll of colorful contact paper at an estate sale a few weeks back. If you want to reorganize your magazines in style too, here's how:


For this project all you need is a cardboard magazine holder, a roll of contact paper (this 2 yard roll will cover about 3 of these), a pen and scissors.

First, lay down the contact paper right side down on my table. Take the unassembled holder and lay it on the contact paper with the taller and wider side down. I pushed the shorter edges and the bottom of the holder to the corner of the contact peper so I wouldn't have to trace those parts. Start tracing the top of the holder around the bend.

Once you get to the top edge stop. Assemble the box and then meet the top edges together and trace down the other side of the holder ( I didn't fully assemble my box in the picture but you get the idea). Trace down the short edge and around the bottom of the assembled box until you meet edges. Make sure you connect the lines at the bottom so that there is a flap to cover the bottom of the holder (The next picture shows what the bottom should look like).

Cut our your contact paper and flip it around to right side up. Your cover should look like the above photo.

Take the smaller side of the cover and peel away some of the backing of the contact paper. Starting at the short part on the corner of one of the curved sides, slowly cover the cardboard, moving towards the higher part of the side. Make sure to press down as you go so that there are no air bubbles.

Once you get the edge of the first side done, stop and lay down the covered section of the holder on the table. Tear away the cover so that the contact paper cover for the bottom of the holder still has its backing. Continue to cover the holder.

Once you are done, the shortest side of the holder and the bottom will remain uncovered. To get a good fit on the bottom, cut the contact paper on the bottom corner, going towards the cardboard. Take the backing off the short piece and press it to the bottom of the holder, then do the same with the long piece.

Take a remaining section of contact paper and trace the shortest side of the holder on to it, right side down. Remove the backing and adhere it to the last remaining uncovered side of the holder.

Voila! A colorful and easy magazine holder.
Please let me know if you have an questions or if you do this, leave a link to a picture so I can take a look!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the idea! I have a ton of these magazine holders in boring white!

idyll hands said...

Those are adorable! I might have to go find me some magazine holders too.